Amazon In Kenya: How To Start A Business Selling On Amazon.com
Learn how to start a business selling on Amazon in Kenya. From setting up a seller account to fulfilling orders, we guide you through the process step by step
In our rapidly globalizing world, Amazon.com has emerged as a powerful platform for individuals and businesses to reach a wide audience. No longer is it confined to specific geographic locations; with Amazon, the world is your marketplace. For those of us in Kenya, this is a golden opportunity. Selling on Amazon enables us to extend the reach of our products to millions of customers across the globe. This article is your comprehensive guide to starting your Amazon business in Kenya.
Understanding Seller Central
To start selling on Amazon, you'll first need to register as an Amazon seller, gaining access to your Seller Central account. This is your portal for managing your Amazon business. It provides many tools for managing your selling account, adding product information, updating inventory, managing payments, and more.
Seller Central Features
- Inventory Tracking: Monitor and update your product listings from the Inventory tab.
- Custom Business Reports: Download unique reports and bookmark frequently used templates.
- Customer Metrics Tools: Keep a close eye on your seller performance.
- Support Access: Contact Selling Partner Support and open help tickets using the Case Log.
- Sales Tracking: Keep tabs on your daily sales for all your Amazon products.
Product Listing 101
The first step to selling on Amazon is to create a product listing. You match an existing listing (if someone else is already selling the same product) or create a new one.
When listing your product, the following information is essential:
- SKU: This is a unique identifier for the products in your inventory.
- Product Title: A concise yet descriptive name for your product.
- Product Description and Bullet Points: An engaging summary of your product and its key features.
- Product Images: High-quality pictures of your product. Amazon requires these images to be at least 500 x 500 pixels.
- Search Terms and Relevant Keywords: These enhance your product's discoverability on Amazon.
Delivering Your Products
Once your product is listed and attracts buyers, it's time to consider fulfillment. Amazon provides two main options: Fulfillment by Merchant (FBM) and Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA).
Fulfillment by Merchant (FBM)
With FBM, you're responsible for storing your inventory and shipping products to customers. Amazon charges shipping rates based on the product category and the customer's chosen shipping service.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)
FBA is a service where Amazon takes responsibility for storing, packaging and shipping your products. They also handle customer service and returns. It's an ideal option if you want to focus on the business side and leave logistics to Amazon.
Growing Your Amazon Business
Your journey on Amazon continues beyond making the first sale. There are a multitude of opportunities to grow your business on this platform.
Amazon requires sellers to meet certain performance metrics. Monitoring these metrics is crucial to maintain a high-quality selling experience. These metrics include the order defect rate, pre-fulfillment cancel rate, and late shipment rate.
Customer reviews are a valuable part of the shopping experience on Amazon. They can significantly impact your product's visibility and sales.
Amazon provides various advertising options to help you increase your product's visibility and drive more sales. These include Sponsored Products, Sponsored Brands, and Sponsored Displays. Each offers different benefits, so it's important to understand how they work to choose the right one for your business.
Expanding to New Marketplaces
Once you have a solid grasp of selling in one marketplace, consider expanding to others. Amazon operates in numerous markets worldwide, giving you the potential to reach billions of customers.
Amazon makes it easy to sell in multiple regions with features like unified North America, Europe, and Japan accounts. These allow you to manage your business in all these markets from a single account. Amazon also offers the Global Selling program, which provides tools and services to help you navigate international sales, including handling customs and import taxes.
When considering international expansion, research each potential marketplace. Consider factors like the demand for your product, competition, local laws and regulations, and language barriers. This will help you choose the right markets for your business and increase your chances of success.
Starting an Amazon business in Kenya can be an exciting and profitable venture. However, it requires careful planning, research, and continuous learning.
- Understand how Seller Central works and utilize its tools effectively.
- Spend time creating compelling product listings that stand out from the competition.
- Choose the right fulfillment option for your business needs and capabilities.
- Monitor your performance metrics and focus on providing excellent customer service.
- Make use of Amazon's advertising options to increase visibility and drive sales.
- Once comfortable in one marketplace, consider expanding to others to reach a wider customer base.
With these key points in mind, you're well on your way to establishing a successful Amazon business in Kenya. Good luck!
READ ALSO: Best Lady Weaves and Prices in Kenya
Starting your Amazon business from Kenya or anywhere else can open the door to endless opportunities. You can create a thriving business on this global platform with careful planning, a strategic approach, and consistent efforts. Remember, success doesn't happen overnight. Patience, persistence, and constant learning are the keys to long-term success in the Amazon marketplace.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I sell on Amazon from Kenya?
Yes, you can sell on Amazon from Kenya. Amazon provides the opportunity for individuals and businesses across the globe to sell products through their platform.
2. What is the best product to sell on Amazon?
The best product to sell on Amazon varies depending on market demand, competition, and your business model. Doing market research to identify potentially profitable products that align with your business goals is crucial.
3. How can I get my products to Amazon's warehouse for FBA?
You can ship your products directly to Amazon's warehouse from Kenya. You must create a shipment plan in your Seller Central account, prepare and pack your products according to Amazon's guidelines, and then ship them using a carrier to deliver them to Amazon's warehouse.
4. Can I use FBA for international shipping?
Yes, Amazon offers a service called FBA Export, which allows your products to be available for international shipping to customers in other countries.
5. How can I deal with customer returns?
If you're using FBA, Amazon will handle returns for you. If using FBM, you must set up a return policy and manage returns independently.
6. How can I improve my product ranking on Amazon?
Improving your product ranking on Amazon involves optimizing your product listing (using relevant keywords, high-quality images, and detailed product descriptions), maintaining high-performance metrics, gathering positive customer reviews, and considering paid advertising options.
This guide provides general advice for starting an Amazon business in Kenya. Doing thorough research and seeking advice from financial advisors or business consultants is important. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this guide, but the author and publisher cannot be held responsible for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by errors or omissions. As Amazon's policies and procedures can change, always refer to the official Amazon Seller Central website for the most up-to-date and accurate information.