HELB Post Graduate Scholarship: Requirements, Application Process, Courses, and Fees
HELB's scholarships offer financial support to Kenyan students striving for higher education. Find out how to apply for the Post Graduate Scholarship program and secure funding for your academic journey.
Are you a Kenyan student aspiring to pursue a postgraduate program and facing financial constraints? The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has a solution for you. Established in 1995 by an Act of Parliament, HELB is dedicated to supporting Kenyans in pursuing higher education. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the requirements, application process, available courses, and scholarship fees offered by HELB's Post Graduate Scholarship program.
Key Takeaways from this Article
- The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) offers postgraduate scholarships to Kenyan students pursuing master's and doctoral degrees.
- The scholarship program supports sustainable financing for higher education.
- Eligibility requirements include admission into a postgraduate program, academic qualifications, and repayment status of previous HELB loans.
- Applicants should complete the Postgraduate Scholarship Application (PGSA) through the Student Portal and follow the submission instructions.
- Geographic distribution and gender diversity are considered during the scholarship award process.
- Be cautious of unauthorized individuals offering to process scholarship applications for a fee.
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is a state corporation operating within Kenya's Ministry of Education. Its primary mission is to provide sustainable financing to Kenyans pursuing higher education. Among its various offerings, the Post Graduate Scholarship is aimed at empowering students pursuing master's and doctoral degrees in both local public and private universities recognized by the Commission for University Education (CUE).
Before delving into the application process and eligibility criteria, let's take a look at some key statistics that showcase the impact of HELB's initiatives:
- Over Ksh 26 Billion have been collected through loan repayments.
- HELB has empowered 1.23 Million students' dreams.
- HELB's funding is projected to grow from Ksh 4.8 Billion in 2021 to Ksh 14 Billion in 2030.
Eligibility Requirements for the Postgraduate Scholarship
To be eligible for the HELB Post Graduate Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a Letter of Admission into a full or part-time postgraduate university program.
- Hold a minimum undergraduate qualification of Second-Class Honors, Upper Division.
- Report for the first year of study.
- Demonstrate a preference for fields such as Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Innovation, and Fisheries (STEM IF) or courses contributing to the "Big Four Agenda."
- If an applicant is a previous or current HELB loan beneficiary, they must be repaying their loan or have cleared it.
How to Apply for the HELB Postgraduate Scholarship
The application process for the HELB Post Graduate Scholarship is straightforward:
- Register and access the Postgraduate Scholarship Application (PGSA) through the Student Portal.
- Fill in the required application details and submit the completed application.
- Download and print the PGSA.
- Obtain the necessary signatures and stamps from relevant authorities.
- Attach all required documents as indicated in the checklist.
- Scan the filled PGSA and attachments in PDF format as one document.
- Email the scanned PDF copy to [email protected].
Important Points to Note
- Geographical distribution and gender diversity are taken into account during the Scholarship Award.
- Applicants from marginalized regions are strongly encouraged to apply.
- A non-refundable application fee of Ksh 3,000 is required, payable via MPESA through the portal's payment tab.
- Beware of individuals offering to process your Postgraduate Scholarship Application for a fee; the process is designed to be direct and accessible.
Available Courses and Scholarship Fees
HELB awards partial scholarships for both master's and doctoral programs. Successful candidates can expect Ksh 200,000 for master's programs and Ksh 450,000 for doctoral programs. These funds are tenable for 2 years for master's and three years for doctoral programs.
In pursuit of higher education, financial constraints should support your aspirations. HELB's Post Graduate Scholarship offers a lifeline to Kenyan students striving for excellence in their academic journeys. By adhering to the eligibility criteria, following the application process diligently, and staying informed about crucial details, you can increase your chances of benefiting from this valuable opportunity.
FAQs About HELB Post Graduate Scholarship
What is the purpose of HELB's Post Graduate Scholarship?
HELB's Post Graduate Scholarship aims to provide financial support to Kenyan students pursuing master's and doctoral degrees in recognized local universities.
What are the eligibility criteria for the scholarship?
Eligibility criteria include admission into a postgraduate program, minimum academic qualifications, and loan repayment status for previous HELB loans.
How can I apply for the scholarship?
To apply, register, and access the Postgraduate Scholarship Application (PGSA) through the Student Portal, complete the form, attach the required documents, and submit via email.
Are there specific fields of study favored for the scholarship?
Preference is given to fields such as Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Innovation, and courses contributing to the "Big Four Agenda."
Is there an application fee?
Yes, applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee of Ksh 3,000 via MPESA through the designated payment tab.
Can I seek assistance from individuals to process my application?
Applicants should only pay some individuals to process their Postgraduate Scholarship Application. The process is designed to be direct and accessible.
The information provided in this article is based on the available data and is subject to change based on the official guidelines provided by the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB). Applicants are advised to refer to the official HELB website for the most up-to-date and accurate Post Graduate Scholarship program information.
What's Your Reaction?