HELB Student Portal for 2023: Registration, Login, Portal Services And More
Learn how to access the financial assistance you need for higher education through the HELB Student Portal. First-time applicants and returning students, this guide is for you!
Pursuing higher education often comes with financial challenges, but Kenya's Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has been a beacon of hope for countless students. HELB offers financial support through loans, bursaries, and scholarships to students pursuing tertiary education in institutions recognized by the Kenyan Ministry of Education. This comprehensive guide will walk you through registering, logging in, and applying for loans through the HELB Student Portal at www.helb.co.ke for the year 2023. Whether you're a first-time applicant or returning for a subsequent application, this article will provide step-by-step instructions to help you access the financial assistance you need to fulfill your academic dreams.
Registering for a HELB Account
The first step towards securing financial assistance from HELB is to create an account on their portal. Here's a detailed guide on how to do it:
- Accessing the Portal: First, ensure you have an internet connection and open your preferred web browser, Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.
- Visit HELB's Official Website: Go to the Higher Education Loans Board portal at www.helb.co.ke.
- Select Loan Category: On the website's menu bar, click "Products" and scroll down to the "HELB Loans" section.
- Choose Your Loan Type: Depending on your student category, select either "Undergraduate Loan" for direct entry students, "Jielimishe Loan" for salaried students, or "TVET loans" for Technical and Vocational Education and Training applicants. Click on the option that applies to you.
- Access Registration: Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Apply Now" to access the registration page.
- User Registration: Hover over the drop-down icon next to "User Registration" on the menu list. Choose "Applicant Registration" if you are a student.
- Enter Personal Details: Provide your National Identification Card and First Name as they appear on your ID card. Click "Validate" to proceed.
- Complete Personal Information: On the new page, fill in your personal information, including an active phone number, a valid email address, and a password.
- Activation Link: Once you enter your information, click "Sign Up." An activation link will be sent to your email address.
- Verify Your Email: Go to your email inbox and click the HELB portal activation link to confirm your registration.
- Log In: Return to the HELB website and log in to your newly created account.
- Fill in Personal and Residence Details: Complete your profile by providing personal and residence details, then click "Save."
Now, you can apply for your HELB loan, bursary, or scholarship.
Before you proceed with your loan application, make sure you have the following documents and information ready:
- A copy of your National Identification Card.
- Details of a valid bank account (preferably one of the banks listed, such as the National Bank of Kenya, Kenya Commercial Bank, or others).
- Your Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) PIN.
- Parents/guardian details, including their name, marital status, level of education, source of income, employee details, current pay slip, and employee number (if employed).
- For orphans, you will need to provide your parents' death certificates.
- A letter of admission to your higher learning institution.
- Copies of two guarantors' identification cards and three colored passport-size photographs.
Once you have gathered these documents, you can proceed with your loan application.
Applying for a HELB Loan
HELB offers two types of undergraduate loan applications: first-time Applications and Second and subsequent Applications. The number of loans you are eligible for depends on the duration of your program. Here's how to apply for a loan based on your application type:
First Time Application:
- Visit the HELB website at www.helb.co.ke and log in to your account.
- Select the appropriate Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Complete the Financial Literacy exercise as required.
- Fill out the loan application form online.
- Print two copies of the filled Loan Application Form.
- Ensure the relevant authorities and guarantors correctly fill, sign, and stamp the forms.
- Retain one copy of the Loan Application Form and submit the other to a Huduma Center nearest you or the HELB Student Service Centre at Anniversary Towers, Nairobi.
Second & Subsequent Application:
- Download the HELB Mobile Application from the Google Play Store.
- Register your details, including your first name, phone number, email address, National ID, and KRA PIN.
- Complete the Financial Literacy notes and the brief Question & Answer exercise.
- Click on loans and select "Undergraduate Loans" to access the Subsequent Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Fill in the required details and apply. There's no need to print or submit physical forms; the application is paperless.
Please note that Safaricom subscribers can complete the application entirely on the app. In contrast, non-Safaricom subscribers must print and submit the application form to the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, Nairobi.
Services Available on HELB Student Portal
The HELB Student Portal offers a range of services to help students manage their loans and applications. Here are some of the key services available:
- HELB Student Profile Editing
- HELB Loan Application
- HELB Scholarship Application
- HELB Loan Statement
- HELB Loan Repayment
- HELB Loan Disbursement Status
- HELB Compliance Certificate Application
- HELB Penalty Waiver Application
- HELB Loan Application History
- HELB Student Portal Account Creation
- HELB Student Account Login
Securing financial support for your higher education through HELB is a straightforward process. This guide gives you all the information you need to navigate the HELB Student Portal for 2023. Whether you're a first-time applicant or returning for a subsequent application, following these steps will help you access the assistance you need to pursue your academic goals. Remember to provide genuine and accurate information throughout the application process, and best of luck with your studies!