HELB TVET Loans: Application Form, Loan Amount, Deadline, and Subsequent Application
HELB TVET loans in Kenya provide affordable financing options for students pursuing higher education. Learn about the application process, loan amounts, and important deadlines.
Are you a student in Kenya seeking financial support for your higher education? Look no further! The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is here to make your dreams a reality. Established in 1995, HELB has empowered Kenyan students by providing affordable loans, bursaries, and scholarships to those pursuing higher education in various institutions, including universities, colleges, and TVET (Technical and Vocational Education Training). This comprehensive guide will delve into the details of HELB TVET loans, the application process, loan amounts, deadlines, and subsequent applications. Let's embark on this educational journey together!
What Is HELB?
Before we dive into the specifics of TVET loans, let's get acquainted with HELB. The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is a statutory body established in July 1995 by an Act of Parliament known as the 'Higher Education Loans Board Act' Cap 213A. It operates under the Ministry of Education in Kenya, governed by a Board of Directors and led by a Chief Executive Officer and Board Secretary. HELB's mission is to provide sustainable finance to Kenyans pursuing higher education through the mobilization and prudent management of resources, with the vision of achieving universal financing for higher education in Kenya.
Applying for a HELB TVET Loan as a First-Time Applicant
If you're a first-time applicant seeking financial assistance for your TVET education, follow these steps to apply for a HELB TVET loan:
Step 1: Visit the HELB Website
Step 2: Register for an Account
- Click on the "register" option to create an account.
- Enter your National ID number. If you don't have a National ID, use your KCSE Index number.
- Provide a valid email address and password, then click "register."
- Check your email (Inbox or Spam/Junk) for an activation link and activate your account.
Step 3: Verify Your Phone Number
- Enter a valid telephone number where a verification code will be sent. If the code expires, click the resend button.
- Fill in your profile and update your biodata.
- Fill in your details and save to continue.
Step 4: Submit Your Loan Application
- Submit your scholarship/loan request after completing all required details.
- Consent to processing your data by accepting the loan terms and conditions.
- Update your guarantor details.
- Provide loan payment information, such as bank or mobile payment details.
- Finally, submit your loan application.
Please take note of the data privacy statement on the consent form and ensure that you understand why your data is being collected before giving your consent. HELB loans should be prudently managed to cover tuition, books, stationery, accommodation, and subsistence.
To complete your TVET loan application, make sure you have the following documents and information:
- A valid email address (for the student).
- A valid telephone number (must be registered in your name to apply for a loan).
- KCPE and KCSE index numbers and year of examination.
- Passport-size photo.
- Copy of your National ID (for loan application).
- College/University admission letter.
- Your parents' registered telephone number.
- Your parents' National ID number.
- Death certificate (if any of your parents is deceased).
- Your birth certificate.
- Two guarantors' ID numbers and registered telephone numbers (can be your parents).
- Copy of the sponsorship letter if you were sponsored in secondary school.
HELB TVET Loan Amounts
HELB is committed to supporting students' financial needs, and the loan amounts vary based on the level of education you are pursuing and whether you are a first-time applicant or applying subsequently.
First-Time TVET Loan Applicants
- First-time TVET loan applicants can receive financial support for tuition, books, stationery, accommodation, and subsistence.
Subsequent TVET Loan Applicants
- Subsequent TVET loan applicants can also access financial assistance for their education.
- The loan amount for subsequent applicants is based on the funds available and the applicant's needs.
Deadline for TVET Loan Application
Knowing the application deadlines is crucial to ensure you take advantage of this opportunity. As of the latest information, the deadline for HELB TVET loan applications for the 2023-2024 academic year is 30 September 2023 for both degree and TVET students. This deadline extension provides more time for applicants to complete their submissions. However, applying as early as possible is advisable to avoid any last-minute hassles.
Subsequent TVET Loan Application Process
If you are a second or subsequent-time applicant for the HELB TVET loan, here's a summary of how to apply:
Using the HELB Mobile App
- Login to the HELB mobile app.
- Select the type of loan you are applying for.
- Accept the financial literacy form.
- Update your details as necessary.
- Submit your application.
Please note that this application guide is for second and subsequent loan applicants. If you are applying for the first time, consult the relevant resources for guidance.
Important Dates for Subsequent TVET Loan Application
- The application period for subsequent TVET loans usually begins in September and ends on 30 September of the respective academic year.
- Ensure you apply within the specified timeframe to increase your chances of approval.
Using the HELB Mobile App for Subsequent Applications
The HELB mobile app provides a convenient way to apply for HELB loans, including subsequent TVET loans. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use the app:
First Step: Registering Your Details
- Go to the Google Play store and search for the HELB app.
- Download and open the app.
- Enter your mobile number to receive a one-time verification code via SMS and email.
- Create a 4-digit PIN for the app.
- Enter your first name as it appears on your ID card, number, and email address.
- Ensure you use the same email address used during registration.
- The system will populate your other details, including your full name, KRA PIN, school, course, and year of study.
Second Step: Applying for HELB Subsequent TVET Loan
- Open the HELB mobile app and enter your 4-digit PIN.
- Navigate to the loans section and select "Undergraduate loans."
- Choose the appropriate loan option for your program (e.g., "Undergraduate (UG) Second Subsequent Loan" for degree students or "TVET Subsequent Loan" for diploma and certificate students).
- Verify and update your details as needed.
- Submit your application.
The journey to higher education can often be challenging, but with institutions like HELB, financial barriers become more manageable. If you're a student in Kenya or know someone who is, understanding the HELB TVET loan application process can be a game-changer. With a vision of universal financing and a strong track record, HELB continues to champion the dreams of millions. So, why wait? Dive in and explore the opportunities HELB offers, and remember: education is an investment in the future, and with the right financing, the sky's the limit!