How to Apply for HEF 2023/2024 University Loans and Scholarships Without National ID in Kenya
Learn how to apply for university loans and scholarships in Kenya without a national ID. Find out the eligibility requirements and steps to secure funding for your higher education.
Securing funding for higher education is a significant concern for many students, and in Kenya, the government has taken steps to alleviate some of these worries. Previously, the national identification card (ID) was a requirement for accessing university loans and scholarships, causing anxiety for students below 18 who hadn't obtained their IDs yet. However, the government's recent decision to waive the national ID requirement has provided relief and opportunities for these students. In this comprehensive article, we'll walk you through applying for university loans and scholarships without a national ID as a requirement, ensuring that every deserving student gets out on higher education financing.
- The government's decision to waive the national ID requirement for university loans and scholarships is aimed at providing equitable access to higher education financing.
- The Higher Education Financing (HEF) portal was launched on July 31, 2023, providing a platform for applying for scholarships, bursaries, and loans for higher education.
- Eligibility requirements for HEF application include a registered phone number, KCSE and KCPE index numbers, passport photo, copy of birth certificate, parent/guardian's ID, and ID numbers of two loan guarantors.
- HEF scholarships can be applied for without a national ID, making them accessible to a broader range of students.
- The HEF application might require uploading documents to verify your financial status, streamlining the process while eliminating the need for manual form submission.
The Government's Progressive Move
The government's decision to eliminate the national ID requirement for university loans and scholarships is a significant step toward promoting equitable access to higher education financing. This move was announced after a cabinet meeting chaired by President William Ruto at Kakamega State Lodge. The primary objective is to ensure that students below 18 years of age who still need to acquire their IDs are not disadvantaged in accessing educational funding.
The New Universities and Colleges Funding Mode
The introduction of the Higher Education Financing (HEF) portal on July 31, 2023, marks a pivotal moment for students seeking financial assistance for higher education. This portal is the platform for applying for scholarships, bursaries, and loans for students entering universities and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions in the upcoming academic year. The HEF portal aims to streamline the application process and make it accessible to all eligible students.
Eligibility Requirements for HEF Application
Specific eligibility criteria must be met to apply for HEF scholarships and loans. These include:
- A Registered Phone Number: An active phone number registered under your name for communication purposes.
- KCSE and KCPE Index Numbers: Your Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) and Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) index numbers for academic verification.
- Passport Photo: A recent passport-sized photograph for identification.
- Copy of Your Birth Certificate: Proof of your date of birth.
- Copy of Your Parent or Guardian's ID: Your parent or guardian's identification details.
- ID Numbers of HEF Loan Guarantors: Identification numbers of two guarantors for your HEF loan.
While an ID is not necessary for applying for HEF scholarships, one must possess one for loan applications.
How to Apply for HEF Scholarships and Loans
Applying for HEF scholarships and loans is now a streamlined online process. Here's how to do it:
- Registration: Visit the HEF portal at www.hef.co.ke, www.universitiesfund.go.ke, or www.helb.co.ke and click "Student Portal." If you have a National ID, enter it. Otherwise, input your KCSE Index number.
- Account Creation: Provide a valid email address and a password to create an account. Activate your account through the email sent to you.
- Log In: Enter a valid phone number to receive a verification code after activating your account.
- Application Submission: Complete your profile, provide consent for data collection, and update your personal information. Fill out details about your schools and submit your scholarship or loan application.
- Verification Documents: You might need to upload certain documents to verify your financial status, similar to the process used by the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) but entirely online.
|Organization||Address||P.O. Box||Phone Numbers||Email Address|
|HELB||Anniversary Towers, 19th Floor||69489-00400, Nairobi||0711052000||[email protected]|
|Universities||Hazina Trade Centre, 5th Floor||28237-00100, Nairobi||+254 207903331 / +254 746737935||[email protected]|
|KUCCPS||ACK Gardens, 1st Ngong' Avenue||105166 – 00101 Nairobi||020 5137400, 0723954927, 0734879662||[email protected]|
The government's decision to remove the national ID requirement for university loans and scholarships is a commendable step towards ensuring that every deserving student has access to higher education financing. The introduction of the HEF portal streamlines the application process and makes it more accessible to students. Following the outlined steps and meeting the eligibility criteria, students can apply for scholarships and loans, opening avenues for pursuing their higher education aspirations. Remember, while a national ID might not be necessary for scholarships, having one is essential for loan applications. Embrace this opportunity and embark on your journey to higher education with the support you need.
Can I apply for HEF loans without a national ID?
No, a national ID is required for applying for HEF loans. However, scholarships can be applied for without a national ID.
Can I edit my application details after submission?
No, the application details cannot be edited after submission. Ensure all information provided is accurate before submitting.
Is the application process entirely online?
The entire application process for HEF scholarships and loans is conducted online through the HEF portal.
What is the application deadline for HEF scholarships and loans?
The application portal opened on July 31, 2023, and the deadline for application is October 7, 2023.
How do I verify my financial status for the application?
You might need to upload certain documents to the HEF portal to verify your financial status, similar to the process used by the HELB loan portal.
What if I need a national ID? Can I still apply for HEF scholarships?
Yes, students without a national ID can still apply for HEF scholarships.
What's Your Reaction?