Kenyan Passport Tracking: Guide to Checking Status Online or via SMS
Discover the convenience of tracking your Kenyan passport status online or via SMS. Save time and avoid physical visits with Kenya's modernized passport application process.
With digital technology at the forefront, the Kenyan government has significantly upgraded its passport application and processing system. This modernization relieves many Kenyans as it reduces queues at immigration offices and saves time. The shining star in this digital transformation is the Kenyan passport tracking system, allowing applicants to monitor their passport status conveniently without visiting the immigration office. Let's dive in and explore this progressive feature!
A Revolution in Passport Processing
Digital adoption by the Kenyan government has positively impacted multiple institutions, providing efficiency and improved service delivery. The passport application process is particularly noticeable with the introduction of an online platform and SMS tracking service. This digital upgrade has streamlined the procedure, saving Kenyans valuable time and reducing the need for physical visits to immigration offices.
Kenyan Passport Tracking: Options at a Glance
Is your passport ready for collection? Here's a comprehensive look at three convenient options for Kenya immigration passport tracking.
SMS passport tracking is a convenient option for Kenyan and diaspora residents, as it doesn't require an internet connection. You only need a mobile carrier and device, regardless of the make or model. To track your passport status via SMS, follow these simple steps:
- Open the messages app on your phone and create a new message.
- In the recipient space, enter the code 2032 and type the tracking number issued to you upon submission of your documents.
- Verify that all the information has been entered correctly and press the send button.
- You will receive a text message indicating whether your document is ready for collection or still being processed.
- If you have any further inquiries, you can use the same code to request assistance from the immigration department. The cost of the service is only Ksh.5 for every SMS sent.
eCitizen Passport Tracking
All passport applications in Kenya are now processed online through the eCitizen portal. Once you have successfully applied for a passport and created an account on the portal, you can easily track the status of your document. Here are the steps to follow for online passport tracking in Kenya:
- Log in to your eCitizen account and navigate the Directorate of Immigration section.
- On the dashboard, you will see the status of your application, whether it has been accepted, rejected, or is ready for collection.
- Since this method is free of charge, you can check your application's progress as frequently as you like.
Tracking via Posta
The Directorate of Immigration has partnered with Posta, Kenya's postal service, to facilitate passport delivery nationwide. As a result, applicants can track their passports using the Posta website. Here's how you can track your passport using a tracking number:
- Visit the Posta booking and collection portal.
- Enter your 10-digit tracking number.
- Click on the 'track my passport' button.
- The Posta tracking portal will display a page showing the progress of your application.
With the advancements in technology, tracking the status of your Kenyan passport has become incredibly easy. You have multiple options to choose from, including SMS tracking, online tracking via the eCitizen portal, and tracking through the Posta delivery portal. These methods eliminate the need to visit the immigration office for progress updates physically. Follow the steps provided in this guide to check the progress of your passport application. Remember to stay patient and allow the designated processing time for your passport to be ready.
1. How long does it take to get a Kenyan passport?
The processing time for a Kenyan passport is typically ten working days from the submission date. However, it's worth noting that some applicants have reported longer wait times, sometimes up to two months.
2. Where can Kenyans in the diaspora apply for passports?
Kenyans living abroad can apply for passports at various foreign missions, including London, Washington DC, Berlin, Pretoria, Dubai, and Paris.
3. What is the validity period for a Kenyan passport?
Kenyan passports are valid for ten years. You must obtain a new one if your passport runs out of visa space.
4. How much does a Kenyan passport cost?
A Kenyan passport costs Ksh.4,550 for a 32-page document and Ksh.6,050 for a 50-page document.
5. How strong is the Kenyan passport?
According to the Global Ranking Index, The Kenyan passport is ranked 76th among global passports.
6. Are Kenyan passports biometric?
Modern Kenyan passports have various biometric features, including the holder's fingerprints, digitally stored photos, and signatures, in line with digitization requirements.
This article is intended to provide general information on tracking the status of Kenyan passports. The processes and fees may be subject to change, so it's recommended to consult official government sources or contact the immigration department directly for the most up-to-date information.
What's Your Reaction?