NTSA Interim Driving License in Kenya: Application, Download, Check Status, How to Pay, and More
Learn all the requirements and step-by-step process of obtaining an NTSA interim driving license in Kenya.
For many people, obtaining a driving license in Kenya is a dream come true, marking the beginning of a new journey. An essential step in this process is acquiring an interim driving license (DL). This interim DL serves as a waiting card for first-time drivers, allowing them to operate a vehicle on Kenyan roads legally. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to apply for, download, check the status of, and pay for your NTSA interim driving license. So, please fasten your seatbelt and start on this informative journey.
What is an NTSA Interim Driving License?
The NTSA interim driving license is a provisional driving permit issued by Kenya's National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA). It plays a crucial role for individuals who have recently passed their driving tests but are waiting for their entire driving licenses to be processed. This interim license allows them to drive on Kenyan roads during this waiting period legally.
Requirements for Obtaining an NTSA Interim Driving License
Before you can apply for an interim driving license in Kenya, you must meet specific requirements:
- Age Requirement: You must be over eighteen to request a motor vehicle driving license or sixteen years and above for a motorcycle license.
- Driving School: You should be a registered student in an NTSA-approved driving school.
- Driving Test: Complete the Kenyan driving test examination administered by police officers to demonstrate your ability to drive a motor vehicle of a particular class.
- Competence Certificate: Possess a competence certificate.
- International Driving Permit: Have an international driving permit if applicable.
- Physical Fitness: Be physically fit to operate a motor vehicle.
- Payment: Prepare to pay a fee for the driving license. The application fee for an interim driving license in Kenya is Kshs 750.
How to Apply for an NTSA Interim Driving License Online
Thanks to technological advancements in Kenya, you can conveniently apply for an interim driving license online through the eCitizen platform. Here's a step-by-step guide to assist you in the application process:
Step 1: Register with eCitizen
- Click on "Create an Account" on the eCitizen platform.
- Enter your ID number and first name.
- Provide your email address, phone number, and password.
- Read and accept the eCitizen terms and conditions.
- Activate your account by verifying the confirmation message sent to your email.
- Verify your phone number by entering the code sent to your mobile.
- Upload your passport photo.
Step 2: Login and Begin the Application
- Log in to your eCitizen account.
- Click on the "National Transport and Safety Authority" tab.
Step 3: Make the Application
- Choose "Make Application" from the NTSA section.
- Select "Driving Licenses."
- Click "Interim Driving License" and proceed with the application.
Step 4: Provide Required Information
Could you fill in the necessary information, including your test drive booking type (TBD) and licensed test drive booking number?
Step 5: Review and Submit
Review your application details for accuracy and completeness. If all information is correct, click the submit button.
Step 6: Make the Payment
Pay for the interim driving license application fee, which is Kshs 750. You can use M-Pesa or credit/debit cards for payment.
Step 7: Complete and Submit
After making the payment, click "Complete" and submit your application.
The interim driving license will be processed immediately, and you can download it by clicking the download button at the top right corner of your screen. This temporary license will be valid for one year.
How to Check the Status of Your NTSA Interim Driving License
To check the status of your interim driving license in Kenya, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the NTSA TIMS portal (Transport Integrated Management Systems).
- Log in to your account.
- Navigate to the "Generate Interim Driving License" section.
- Enter your ID number and click "Search."
- Your interim driving license status will be displayed.
Renewing Your NTSA Interim Driving License
An interim driving license in Kenya is valid for only six months. To renew it for another year, follow these steps:
- Log in to your eCitizen portal.
- Choose "National Transport and Safety Authority" and click "Get Services."
- Under "Make Application," select "Driving Licenses."
- Choose your preferred renewal period (one year or three years).
- Review the associated fees and click "Apply Now."
- Verify your information and make the payment as required.
- After payment, click "Complete" and submit your application.
- The renewed interim license will be available for download.
READ ALSO: How to Apply for a PSV License in Kenya
In conclusion, obtaining an NTSA interim driving license in Kenya is crucial for new drivers awaiting full driving licenses. By following the provided guidelines and using the eCitizen platform, you can easily apply for, renew, and check the status of your interim driving license, ensuring you're legally and confidently on the road. Safe driving!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How long is an NTSA interim driving license valid? A provisional driving license in Kenya is valid for one year.
2. Can I apply for an interim driving license online? Yes, you can apply for a provisional driving license online through the eCitizen platform.
3. What is the application fee for an interim driving license in Kenya? The application fee for a provisional driving license in Kenya is Kshs 750.
4. Can I renew my interim driving license if I still need to receive my full driving license? Yes, you can renew your provisional driving license in Kenya even if you still need to obtain your full driving license.
5. Is an international driving permit required to apply for an interim driving license? You'll need an international driving permit if applicable to your situation.
6. What happens if my interim driving license expires? If your provisional driving license expires, you must renew it to continue driving legally in Kenya.
7. How can I pay the application fee for an interim driving license? You can pay your provisional driving license application fee through M-Pesa or credit/debit cards.
8. Can I apply for a renewal of my Kenyan driving license for three years? Yes, you can apply for a three-year renewal of your Kenyan driving license with associated fees.