Water Purification in Kenya: Water Purification Machines, Cost, And How To start Water Business In Kenya
From contamination to cleanliness: a comprehensive guide to water purification in Kenya. Get insights into systems, costs, and entrepreneurial opportunities. Start today!
Imagine being a homeowner in Kenya, tasked with finding a solution to guarantee clean, safe drinking water for your family. Where would you begin? How much would a reliable water purification system cost? This article unravels these pressing questions by providing comprehensive insights into the world of water purification in Kenya, how to embark on a small-scale purified water business, and understanding the intricacies of the available systems. Let's dive in!
Why is Water Purification Essential in Kenya?
Clean water is not just a necessity—it's a fundamental right. However, the grim reality is that a large chunk of the water available in Kenya is contaminated. As a result, a reliable, affordable solution to access safe drinking water has emerged as a top priority for many households and even the government.
With this backdrop, water purifiers have become an essential investment for property owners across Kenya. But how do you determine the right choice? Let's uncover that.
How Much Does a Water Purifier Cost in Kenya?
For those wondering, the price for a dependable household water purifier ranges between KSH 100,000 to KSH 150,000. But remember, various factors influence the cost. What are these factors, you ask?
Factors Influencing Water Purifier Prices
- Output Capacity: Water purification machines come in a spectrum of output capacities. Generally, the rule of thumb is that the higher the output capacity, the higher the price.
- Distance from Source to Premises: The proximity between the water source and your property can significantly affect the cost. This involves factors like plumbing and transportation.
- Labor and Installation: The complexity of the installation process and any additional work, such as plumbing, can add to the cost.
Exploring the Different Types of Water Purifiers
Now, having understood the costs, it's crucial to delve into the types of cleaners available in the Kenyan market:
- Fresh Water Treatment Purifier: This system is optimal for treating council, spring, and other minimally polluted sources. It utilizes a 6-stage filtration process that includes sand filtration, cartridge filtration, carbon filtration, micro-filtration, and UV disinfection. Moreover, it doesn't use chemicals and can range between 250 ltrs/h to 1000 ltrs/h.
- Reverse Osmosis Systems (RO Systems): These are designed to treat water with minimal suspended solids, such as borehole water, saline water, dirty river water, and dam water. They come in varied capacities and features, from the compact domestic version that fits under your sink to advanced versions suited for water with high fluoride and suspended solids.
Prices of Water Purifier Machines in Kenya
Now, let's delve into the prices of water purifiers in Kenya. Keep in mind that prices primarily depend on the machine's output capacity.
- Fresh Water Treatment Purifier: Output capacity of 250 liters/h to 1000 liters/h. Price ranges from Ksh 170,000 to Ksh 250,000.
- Reverse Osmosis Systems (RO Systems) for Water Treatment with Less Fluoride and Total Dissolved Matter: Output capacity of 300 liters/h to 1000 liters/h. Price ranges from Ksh 270,000 to Ksh 600,000.
- Reverse Osmosis Systems (RO Systems) for Water with High Fluoride, Iron, and Suspended Solids: Output capacity of 250 liters/h to 3000 liters/h. Price ranges from Ksh 330,000 to Ksh 1,350,000.
Setting up a Small-Scale Purified Water Business in Kenya
But what if you're an entrepreneur at heart? How about starting a small-scale purified water business?
To kickstart this venture, you'll need:
- Access to clean raw water. Avoid water sources laden with industrial pollutants.
- A reliable purification system tailored to your needs and scale of operations.
- A robust marketing strategy to make your brand stand out in a crowded market.
Challenges and Solutions
One significant challenge in this business is access to reliable and affordable water sources. Overcoming this challenge can involve:
- Finding Affordable Water Sources: Search for natural springs and wells or negotiate with local suppliers for cost-effective water access.
- Purifying Water Yourself: Consider using various methods like reverse osmosis, distillation, or UV light sterilization.
- Buying Purified Water: Purchase purified water from companies already in the business, although margins may be smaller than purifying your water.
- Rainwater Harvesting: Explore rainwater harvesting as a reliable and affordable water source by collecting rainwater from rooftops.
The journey to ensuring access to clean drinking water in Kenya is fraught with challenges. But with the proper knowledge, reliable purification systems, and a pinch of entrepreneurial spirit, the dream of clean water for all can become a reality. As the saying goes, every drop counts, and in the quest for clean water, every purifier matters. Whether you're a homeowner or a budding entrepreneur, make your move now. Safe, purified water awaits!